There are numerous gangs in New Zealand, like Black Power , Hells Angels MC , Highway 61 MC and many more. These Gang had less criminal rate as compare to other part of the world. A New Zealand Ministry of Justice study showed that in 1991 just under 80% of prison inmates had no gang history, and just over 90% had no current gang membership. Of the prison population, 4% were members of the Mongrel Mob and 4.3% former members, while 3.6% were current and 3.2% former members of Black Power. No other gang had more than one percent of the prison population. A similar study in 2003 showed that 11.3% of prison inmates were gang members. Of these, about a third each were Mongrel Mob or Black Power, with no other gangs having more than 5% of the imprisoned gang population.
Prominent Motorbike gangs
Hells Angels MC
Hells Angels motorcycle club founded a chapter in Auckland in 1961 and has since taken over gangs in Wanganui. New Zealand had the first chapter of the Hells Angels outside the US.
Highway 61 MC
Highway 61 motorcycle club is currently the largest outlaw motorcycle club in New Zealand. The motorcycle club currently has chapters in Auckland, Hastings, Rotorua, Wellington, Christchurch and also Sydney, Brisbane and the Gold Coast in eastern Australia.
Mongrel Mob was formed and organised in Hastings about 1968 and, like its Black Power rivals, is primarily Māori and Pacific Islander. The gang has been active in organised crime and has been involved in several murders. Its symbol is a bulldog wearing a German Stahlhelm helmet, and the gang makes use of other Nazi imagery. Their colours are red and black. The Mongrel Mob is currently the biggest gang in New Zealand.
Road Knights MC
The Road Knights motorcycle club operates in the South Island.They are based in Invercargill, Timaru and Christchurch.
The gang has ties with the Hells Angels, Red Devils and the Harris Gang and are rivals with the Mongrel Mob.
The Tribesmen is a prominently Māori motorcycle club formed in the 1980s in Otara. It is connected to the Killerbeez youth street gang.
- Devil's Henchmen MC (Christchurch and Timaru) - the original South Island outlaw motorcycle club, formed in Christchurch in 1973
- Epitaph Riders MC (Christchurch and Greymouth)
- Filthy Few MC (Tauranga, Rotorua, Waihi and Matamata)
- Forty Five MC (Auckland)
- Greasy Dogs (Mount Maunganui)
- Headhunters MC (Auckland, Wellsford, Northland and Tauranga)
- Huhu MC (Tokoroa), started as a largely bush crew from the early 1950s, MC in the early 1970s.
- Lone Legion MC (Blenheim)
- Lost Breed MC (Nelson)
- Magogs MC (New Plymouth)
- Mothers MC (Palmerston North)
- Outcasts MC (Hamilton)
- Outlaws MC (Napier)
- Red Devils MC (Nelson)
- Satans Slaves MC (Wellington)
- Sinn Fein MC (Upper Hutt)
- Southern Vikings MC (Dunedin)
- Templars MC (Christchurch)
- Tyrants MC (Pahiatua)
- Ara Toa Whanau MC (Palmerston North, Horowhenua, Heretaunga)